GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | [Poll]itics Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
[Poll]itics
Rating:
Topic by: Soylent Dave
Posted: Sep 28, 12 - 2:33 AM
Last Reply: Oct 18, 12 - 6:23 PM
Go to : 
Page:
Author [Poll]itics

Why Did I Do That?
Pigeon-holing yourself into one side is rather ridiculous. It's on a per issue basis whether you're conservative or liberal. Whether you're either doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to politics as it's all just a power grab. It only determines which path(people you suck up/lie to get them to vote for you) you takes.

The Man With The Golden LOLDONG
Fin wrote:
utter shit like blasphemy laws

Fuck this. Fuck them. Fuck no. This is part of my problem with the religious. Most of the ones I know think that freedom of speech only applies to them. No. They also think that I have to respect their beliefs. Also no. I do not have to respect anything anyone thinks or says. I acknowledge our right to believe whatever nonsense you want but in no way am I obligated to respect it.

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #17

Yeah they seem to be fuzzy about the distinction between respecting a person's right to do something and respecting someone who does it.

I respect a man's right to stick a firecracker in his ass and light it, for instance.

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #18

Very true. You can drive a car with your feet, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Covert Agent
In Reply To #19

I think you mean "steer", as I do drive it with the pedals, which I use with my feet.

Trainee
Eh, I'm a left-leaning independent.

Not a big fan of taxing the individual rich (corporations that use tricky loopholes I'm not a fan of, though), but I agree with almost all of the left's social rights views.

I love followin' politics, just not a fan of committing to either side for the most part.

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #20

Either way, the use of hands is recommended.

Recruit
Sheps wrote:
Unimaginative Pseudonym wrote:
In Reply To #2

You want to shout at your TV? Come to Britain.

We've got some awesome politicking going on right here, with our special needs government - members of which can't even leave Downing Street without causing a week-long incident and pissing the entire UK police force off.

Next election we get to choose between a religious zealot and someone who literally fired the last prime minister and took the top job game-of-thrones style. Frankly I'd rather throw them both into a deathmatch arena and crown the survivor king.

At least it'd be fairer than party politics.

The Rudd-Gillard infighting was great fun to watch though. Plus Gillard was born in Wales, which piqued my interest.

Recruit
Apparently Im the only Rightie..

Unimaginative Pseudonym
nothing wrote:
Then a certain politician whose name I shall not speak but will instead give the pseudonym of "Peg Me" decided that it's okay to break a promise as long as you're enjoying having the archnemesis of your supporters' ideals jam his dick up your ass.

Yeah. For some reason I'm not rating his chances in the next election. Or of being in charge of his party in the next election. Or of his party getting many votes in the next election.

But he might end up top of the hit parade.

CoyoteExile wrote:
Fin wrote:
utter shit like blasphemy laws

Fuck this. Fuck them. Fuck no.

Yeah. Free speech does carry with it a responsibility to not be an enormous dick, and not to incite violence or hatred (or face the consequences of your actions) - but it still doesn't excuse people murdering completely different people ostensibly because of something some dickhead put in a rubbish film.

(quite cheerful news coming out of Libya at the moment, though - of the 'general public (and government) say "get the fuck out of our country, you extremist fuckbags" ' kind)

-

I don't generally have a problem with religion (although I am an atheist); I do have a problem with extremists of all kinds. It's always the fringe nutbags who fuck things up for everyone (whether they're Christians, Muslims or whatever)

Ludo Ergo Sum

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #24

That means we need you to take charge every few years or so, to get the economy back on track after we piss it all away on free cars for dogs, and government grants for disabled cats.

Ludo Ergo Sum

He Leg
In Reply To #26

He's Canadian. His definition of Rightie is not the same as ours.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #27

Is that like defining American politics using British political parties?

("The US has two main political parties - the Republicans, who are slightly more right-wing than the Conservative Party. And the Democrats, who are slightly more right-wing than the Conservative Party.")

:tongue:

Ludo Ergo Sum

Low Level Operative
Unimaginative Pseudonym wrote:
the Republicans, who are slightly more right-wing than the Conservative Party

The International Committee for Excessive Understatement called to say you win.

Trainee
I'll have to jump in with the "I'm to hip to be identified as either left or right" crowd. Mostly it just seems daft to limit yourself to opinions which fit in the bit of the Venn Diagram you liked the colour of.

In Reply To #29

Every time there's a US election I find myself amazed at American politics. The Republicans in particular seem amazingly adept at picking candidates who wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a microphone here.

But then I suppose we have Boris Johnson.

[Poll]itics
Rating:
Topic by: Soylent Dave
Posted: Sep 28, 12 - 2:33 AM
Last Reply: Oct 18, 12 - 6:23 PM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum