GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | Best Mobile Game out there? Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Best Mobile Game out there?
Rating:
Topic by: Cookiejesus
Posted: Sep 24, 12 - 11:19 PM
Last Reply: Feb 13, 13 - 8:30 PM
Go to : 
Page:
Author Best Mobile Game out there?

Paleo Wannabe
And by mobile I mean cellphone, tablet, etc.

And while we're at that, what makes a good mobile game?

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #1

I always seem to go back to Peggle, it's simple, you can play it while you're waiting for the bus and it can both make you feel like a god when you win and want to kill everyone in the room when you don't.

A good mobile game should be lightweight, quick and easy. You should be able to quit it at any time without losing your progress. For many, I guess sharing of achievements over social networks is a plus, but I never really saw the point.

The Man With The Golden LOLDONG
I don't know about best but I still play Angry Birds and Temple Run. Shit's like crack.

Covert Agent
For tablets I really like the Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers on the iPad. It fits the platform well but really I think it is just because I never actually played magic when I was younger. I bought cards and thought about playing but never really had anyone to play it with (so sad). So, for me, the game is fresh and I get the balancing and mechanics far more now. Also, it is turn based so it fits mobile well.

For my tastes I prefer mobile gaming that can be played in tiny chunks but adds up to a larger progression. Civ: Revolution fits this well as does the aforementioned Magic. I don't care for the visuals of Civ:Rev but the gameplay is solid (like Civ if you can believe it). It could be a little more complicated though; I think the platform can take it.

Instant gratification mechanics just don't taunt me into pulling out my phone. I won't play a game in the grocery store line or waiting for the train. I just like to listen to music, look at things, and think about stuff. I need a good 20+ minutes free to really get into something. This extends beyond games too. So for me, Civ, Magic, Neuroshima Hex, Super Bros: Sword and Sworcery, and Uniwar (great for phones).

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Surely it's "Game Dev Story" - the most addictive little pocket of fun on the mobile market.
I spent almost and entire week playing and then replaying it when I first bought it for a messily $2.

Basically, as the name suggests you run a game development company. There's also meant to be another popular mobile game, which is equally addictive where you run an airport.

Covert Agent
I've played me a lot of Angry Birds, but strangely enough probably the game I play the most is a simple Dominoes game. As in, the tiles.

Recruit
1 - Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ
2 - Buy here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-he ... ?ls=1&mt=8
3 - Lose track of time, 10 seconds at a time.

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #7

That looks very good... Will buy soon.

Why Did I Do That?
Does a game that makes me throwing a wireless keyboard across the room count as a mobile game?

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #9

Perhaps id you were to toss the computer itself...

Recruit
Yeah, last I checked it was Windows Phone 7 only, but Pac-Man CE DX is all I need for games on my phone. The touch controls work great, the visuals are still great and wocca wocca wocca wocca wocca wocca.

Trainee
Infinity Blade 1 and 2 are both fantastic titles.

Gets a bit repetitive at times, but it's a gorgeous Unreal Engine-based series for the iPhone. Both should still be on sale for like $1-$4 if you're interested.

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #12
The Infinity Blade series is really good. The second one is so much better than the first one. It does get a bit repetititve and really completing the game is basically about grinding, so it can get old.

Clashmobs were a great adition too...

Trainee
I've wasted a fair bit of time with Peggle and Drop 7 (yeah, Zynga are evil but it's a solid puzzler so I still ended up buying it).

I generally don't get many games for my iPod due to saving space for music. However if you are looking for recommendations for mobile games then here is a good place to find 'em (also has downloadable console titles and cheap PC titles but you can browse by platform), I'd start at the "Must Play" section:

http://www.hookshotinc.com/

Trainee
In Reply To #13

I am absolutely in love with the armor art direction in the series. It's just beyond ridiculous how well thought-out all the gear and weapons look.

Best Mobile Game out there?
Rating:
Topic by: Cookiejesus
Posted: Sep 24, 12 - 11:19 PM
Last Reply: Feb 13, 13 - 8:30 PM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum