GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | Gaming headsets for speccy people Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Gaming headsets for speccy people
Rating:
Topic by: Soylent Dave
Posted: Oct 28, 12 - 4:11 PM
Last Reply: Nov 11, 12 - 10:22 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
Author Gaming headsets for speccy people

Unimaginative Pseudonym
Anyone who is at least a little bit social on the internet ends up wearing a headset for extended periods of time, and I've yet to find one that's actually comfortable when you're wearing it in addition to spectacles - even if they're comfy at first, after half an hour you end up with the arms of your glasses digging into your skull and it's all a bit distracting.

The problem might also be exacerbated by my massive head; I haven't done any measurements but headsets always seem a bit of a tight fit and I'm starting to think that it isn't just that they're making them for children and that it's rather more probable that I've got the same shape head as the Mekon.

So any recommendations?

(and no "stop wearing glasses" recommendations, because I can barely see my own nipples without my specs & contact lenses can fuck right off)

Ludo Ergo Sum

He Leg
I have the same problem actually. I plonked down a solid $170 for some good Beyerdynamics (which is a big deal for me, as I usually don't give a crap about sound as long as I can hear it) a few years ago. Only after that, I was recommended to start wearing glasses at the PC again after having gone for almost a decade without bothering. I've hardly worn the Beyer's since.

Why Did I Do That?
I actually ended up suspending a microphone from the ceiling, it works rather nicely, just need a mic that doesn't pick up sound from a far.

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #3

Would some of those phone earbuds work?

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #1

I have the Sennheiser HD 598 (They are a golden colour). Click to see a random review which I haven't read. http://www.trustedreviews.com/sennheiser-hd-598_Headphones_review

The first thing which may turn you down is the price tag. They are around $300 AUD and if you want the full benefit of these headphones you actually need an audio card with a 6.3mm jack. The headphones also come with your standard size jack which can be attached onto the end, meaning you can use them on your standard sound card and plug them into your mobile phone if need be.

These headphones are not surround natively but with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card which supports a 6.3mm jack you can simulate surround, which is does very nicely, plus you get the added bonus of it sounding absolutely amasing unlike many out there.

Another thing about these headphones is that they are built well and are very, very light. I have worn these for over 12 hours in one sitting and they have felt just as comfortable as the second I put them on. I honestly don't even know I'm wearing them most of the time.

People spend lots of cash on their graphics card and monitor, so why cheap out on the sound? These headphones are worth the price tag. I guarantee it.

Recruit
I have the Logitech G930 headset.
Its something thats easy to forget your wearing. Partly due to it being wireless.
It has good sound and microphone. Also surroundsound.

The software it uses sometimes acts up which is annoying but easily fixed with for example reconnecting.

I should note I dont use glasses and wouldnt really be able to tell how these would work with them. Other than the padding is very soft.

I have seen some headhpones with small cups that might be better but dont know them.
Must be razor or steelseries I saw. Check the web sites for these 2 and look for small cups.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Something funny I did the other day which I didn't realise for an hour or so. I was playing Faster Than Light with the sound coming through my monitor's speakers but was wearing my headphones. I would have realised instantly if it weren't for FTL's simple sound track.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
I decided not to spunk £87million on some Sennheisers (although I am willing to bet they feel like sexy people making extremely comfortable love to your ears, given all the recommendations).

I went for these here Plantronics ones:

Review thus far -

Pros :

Very comfy, even with specs on.
Excellent sound quality.
Very good mic quality.
PC doesn't feel the need to announce it to me every single time I plug them in, because they do everything through the USB connection (that's a windows issue really, but the announcements are still fucking annoying).
Not too expensive.

Cons :

Plantronics is a stupid name for a company, and sounds like a cheapo knock off of a real brand.
Mic is possibly a bit too sensitive.
Cable is a bit too long for people who are right next to their PC, but not so enormously long as to be worth being long in the first place.
No ear sex.

edit: good christ that image is larger than I expected. I'd edit it if I could be bothered.

Ludo Ergo Sum

He Leg
Unimaginative Pseudonym wrote:
Plantronics is a stupid name for a company, and sounds like a cheapo knock off of a real brand.

They've kinda been around a while. Like, on the moon. That said, I bought a plantronics headset once and it sucked, but it was only $25 so I couldn't complain (except when I did).

Covert Agent
I use the Logitech G35 surround headphones occasionally. I really like them but for large heads and glasses I'd give them an anti-recommendation. Sound, comfort and features are great, but I can't imagine they are comfy on big heads (my head is avg and I don't really have much more 'room').

Gaming headsets for speccy people
Rating:
Topic by: Soylent Dave
Posted: Oct 28, 12 - 4:11 PM
Last Reply: Nov 11, 12 - 10:22 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum