GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | What Country Are You In at the Moment? Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
What Country Are You In at the Moment?
Rating:
Topic by: Dracion
Posted: Oct 4, 12 - 6:35 AM
Last Reply: Oct 25, 12 - 12:01 AM
Go to : 
Page:
Author What Country Are You In at the Moment?

Recruit
I'm just outside Taichung, Taiwan. Now there's a hilarious story.

He Leg
In Reply To #46

Do tell.

I just did a drive around Taiwan a few weeks ago. I had lunch in Taichung once...

Recruit
In Reply To #47

We're apparently the only ones in this neck of the woods.

Do you remember where you ate? There's some great places in the city.

And the hilarious story is having to leaves the States because I couldn't find a job to renew my visa, spending twelve months in a cold flat in Manchester with no job and no money, before finally getting a job offer in Taiwan.

Basic sort of rags-to-fresh-rags story.

He Leg
In Reply To #48

Ah OK.

My time in Taichung was actually on my first trip to Taiwan a couple of years ago now, it was around Christmas. The in-laws were driving me to the mountains and we stopped in Taichung for a Christmas lunch. No idea where exactly, just in the city.

All I remember was Christmas-coloured nachos (that is, green and red corn chips), lots of waitresses wearing skimpy Santa outfits, and the constant, enraging sound of synthesized Christmas carols being perpetually played in every. Public. Place. In. Taiwan.

I was in Taipei for NYE which was amazing, but I don't plan to ever go back there at that time of year again. Mind you, being there in summer also sucked, so that's now half the year I need to rule out when visiting the in-laws.

Recruit
In Reply To #49

I might be moving up to Taipei in a couple of months. Right about now would be great to visit. The weather's been beautiful.

Jesus, I sound like Agatha Christie.

He Leg
In Reply To #50

Yeah Autumn sounds like a good time to me. Mind you, Autumn here in Germany has been amazing so far - I've not seen trees turn like this before. So I am not sure I'd give that up for a trip back there...

I expect I will want to get out of here when winter hits, but I'll need to experience it first.

Trainee
I am in the Officially Fine City of Norwich, having escaped the slums of Essex to come to uni here.

In Reply To #51

If you've not seen a proper spring yet you're in for a treat, too. I had an Aussie housemate for a year at uni, who moved over here in September then spent the next six months complaining about the weather ("Why would anyone want to live on this cold, damp, horrible rock..." etc). Then she came in one day in early spring and said "Is spring here always this amazing?".

So, you know, it's totally worth sticking the winter out.

He Leg
In Reply To #52

I am counting on it.

I've been wanting to visit Europe for years, and not just because there are so many GSFers here to hunt down.

Won the Internet...
Cyrris wrote:
In Reply To #52

I am counting on it.

I've been wanting to visit Europe for years, and not just because there are so many GSFers here to hunt down.

When you say that, all I can think of is a Crazed Australian Man, hunting down forum goers one by one with a shotgun and a blunt spoon...

The Turtle moves...

Won the Internet...
In Reply To #54

Is that why you made these forums, so your stalking is easier...

The Turtle moves...

He Leg
You keep revealing my secrets and this blunt spoon is going to find it's way to you very soon...

Won the Internet...
Cyrris wrote:
You keep revealing my secrets and this blunt spoon is going to find it's way to you very soon...

Now you made me think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iOROuTuMA

The Turtle moves...

Recruit
Cyrris wrote:
In Reply To #50
I expect I will want to get out of here when winter hits, but I'll need to experience it first.

Before moving to Berlin a week ago, the lady would say 'you liked Berlin after a summer, let's see if you like it after a winter'.

He Leg
In Reply To #58

I am hoping to check out Berlin next weekend, a Friday to Monday thing. Hoping it won't rain, because I want to do a lot of walking outside.

I am hoping to at least fit in:

- Brandenburger Tor
- Reichstag
- Fernseheturm
- Potsdamer Platz
- Bits of the old wall

I very much want to check out Potsdam as well, but I think that can justify a second trip on it's own.

Recruit
Ant991 wrote:
I had an Aussie housemate for a year at uni, who moved over here in September then spent the next six months complaining about the weather

I seem to recall a cousin of mine from Australia staying with us years ago and was amazed by how green the country was...so it wasn't long before she found out why.

Anyway, pencil me in for the UK (Kenilworth - with genuine castle, or at least what's left of it).

What Country Are You In at the Moment?
Rating:
Topic by: Dracion
Posted: Oct 4, 12 - 6:35 AM
Last Reply: Oct 25, 12 - 12:01 AM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum