GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | The Walking Dead (game, obviously) Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
The Walking Dead (game, obviously)
Rating:
Topic by: Soylent Dave
Posted: Nov 25, 12 - 5:24 AM
Last Reply: May 18, 13 - 7:17 PM
Go to : 
Page:
Author The Walking Dead (game, obviously)

Unimaginative Pseudonym
Did anyone play it?

Did you go "ooh, it's only a basic point-and-click but FUCK ME IT'S SOMEHOW THE BEST GAME OF THE YEAR?"

I might have done that.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #1

iOS?

Why Did I Do That?
Sick of the whole zombie thing in general. Its dead carcass has been run over by a souped up semi-truck repeatedly for at least 22 hours a day for too many years to count.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #2

PC / Xbox / PSN

In Reply To #3

Zombies for the sake of it are old hat.

Zombies done well are excellent, and The Walking Dead is zombies done well (i.e. the zombies aren't the point of the story, they're just a background element, forcing characterisation through tension - a bit like disaster movies (which are also complete shit if the focus is the disaster rather than the characters))

Ludo Ergo Sum

Trainee
In Reply To #3

Walking Dead isn't really about Zombies; I mean they're there but they're more or less the backdrop for amazing drama between the people.

Trainee
In Reply To #4
For what it's worth the iOS version is the same game as all those.

I bought this on Steam, have yet to get to it.

Covert Agent
you wouldn't have the drama between zombies if you didn't have zombies. Drama-rama, it's still a zombie comic/show/game. A good one. That's always my husband's argument regarding the Walking Dead too, but all the zombie shows are about people surviving zombies.

The game is kinda neat. I haven't gotten too into it yet as the pizza came shortly after I started and I haven't loaded it up again. Not as easy as I would've thought for not technically doing anything, but definitely interesting.

I will eventually play through it/them

The Man With The Golden LOLDONG
Played the demo this weekend actually. It's pretty short. The gameplay didn't thrill me but the storytelling and some of the story elements (characters remember how you answer questions and having it change how they act) were very cool. It's too expensive to buy each episode for me. Maybe if they release it together and then the price comes way down I'll go for it. I hate paying full price for stuff.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #8

They're planning on a retail disc with all 5 episodes, and I'll be astonished if XBL don't put the digital eps on offer at some point very soon (e.g. Christmas)

(I tricked myself into believing it wasn't actually £20 by buying the instalments as they came out)

Ludo Ergo Sum

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #9

In the App Store there's an episode bundle. Since you have to purchase the app full price, the savings is just like getting one episode for free. A bit high for my cheap app buying habits though.

Covert Agent
What do you guys think of it taking GotY at the VGA's

Covert Agent
question mark

Unimaginative Pseudonym
It's definitely one of my games of the year.

I mean, there's not a huge amount of 'game' there, but there's a shitload of really good story so it balances out (and not even 'a good story for a game which is usually the allowance we have to make).

Kinda the opposite of most games really.

I liked other stuff this year as well though... er... what came out this year.

Oh yeah, Mass Effect 3, that was good. Batman, was that this year? No, 2011. Damn. That was ace.

Probably some other games. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, I'm enjoying that. No, 2011 again.

Shogun 2? No, 2011.

Fuck, did any games come out at all this year?

Ludo Ergo Sum

Low Level Operative
I played through the first episode last week on iPad and it's *fantastic*. Going to buy the rest this week.

The iOS version is pretty well done from what I've played. The only thing I didn't like was that it's sometimes difficult to manage looking around in some of the fast-choice bits, which are probably much easier on PC/Console.

Trainee
In Reply To #13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_vi ... e_releases

I would give my nod to Dishonored for 2012 GOTY, Borderlands 2 was also pretty good. Kingdoms of Amalur was a good early release and let's not (and you didn't) forget ME3 (try that we might).

The Walking Dead (game, obviously)
Rating:
Topic by: Soylent Dave
Posted: Nov 25, 12 - 5:24 AM
Last Reply: May 18, 13 - 7:17 PM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum