GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | New movies, yay or nay?? Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
New movies, yay or nay??
Rating:
Topic by: Chiquita
Posted: Dec 25, 12 - 4:13 AM
Last Reply: Jan 25, 13 - 7:04 AM
Go to : 
Page:
Author New movies, yay or nay??

Covert Agent
We recently saw Life of Pi: I thought it was great. I enjoyed the book and thought the movie was beautiful. Neither of us are religious buy that didn't get in the way of enjoying the story.

The Hobbit (whatever they called it): we really liked it as well. I was concerned about one or both of us getting sick (Shane has problems with 3D and I have problems with everything right now) but there were no issues. Great flick. 1.5 hours of having to pee.

We're going to try to get to Django Unchained tomorrow.

Anything else worth watching?

He Leg
I haven't seen a damn thing and it's starting to grate. Haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, haven't seen Skyfall, haven't seen the Hobbit.

This needs a-fixin'.

Why Did I Do That?
In Reply To #2

Everyone to Cyrris' place for a mega-movie-marathon!

Covert Agent
In Reply To #2

I still need to see Skyfall and the Hobbit too. I thought about seeing either Django Unchained or Skyfall today, but I never made it out of the house...

I did see Avengers and Dark Knight Rises in theaters and on DVD though.

Covert Agent
I have no interest in bond movies *gasp* and didn't really care for the last Batman. I really liked the first two. But I was disappointed this last time.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #5

I quite liked the last Batman (it was entertaining enough, although a big part of the entertainment is pointing out plot holes / insanity*)

But I weep for the lack of editing in the film industry - for which I blame Peter Jackson (seriously, is no-one saying "look, if we cut ALL THIS POINTLESS SHIT out of your Hobbit films, we can get it done in 100 minutes flat"?

No, they aren't. Because he edits them himself, which we know is a retarded idea because we've seen the deleted scenes bits of normal DVDs, and we know the sort of self-involved crap directors want to put in their films if they're left to their own devices)

If Dark Knight had been edited properly, it would have been all about the Joker, maybe including the creation of Two Face (but definitely no lengthy subplot or killing of him), which would have led neatly on to the third film with him as the main villain. You could have cut about an hour out of the film, easily.

But no. We had to have a too-long middle film, and a third film with Bane and Catwoman instead of a more interesting villain. Bah.

Bane's character design is pretty cool, at least. It's as cool as you can make Bane, anyway.

(also who the fuck is responsible for casting Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon? That's some seriously wasted talent right there...)

*like a helicopter that can go faster than missiles, for example. Missiles with apparently infinite fuel.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Just Beat Coyote (off)
I'm seeing The Hobbit in exactly 48 minutes. Will take me 4 mins to get to the theatre. 44 mins to spare seeing as I already have my ticket.

Bane? What you say, Bane? Eh?
I said "muffle-ruffle-muffles-can't-you-understand-what-I'm-saying?"

3rd Batman could have been written and directed so much better. They wasted so much time focusing on Batman's re-training in the cell when they could have gotten onto more important shit like kicking Bane's behind. The whole point of Batman Begins was to see Bruce Wane's journey in becoming Batman, we didn't seriously need to go through all that again in the latest.

Lack. of. important. editing. and. storytelling.

Covert Agent
Django was awesome.

Trainee
Whatever you do , don't go to Jack reacher. Baby kittenswill die.

Covert Agent
Having a vagina I was compelled to go to Les Mis. I was disappointed. It's my favorite musical and I love other versions. This wasn't terrible but holy fuck, not every scene needed to be a close-up.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #10

Not a huge fan of musicals, but I really like the Geoffrey Rush and Liam Neeson version, which, surprisingly enough, is not a musical.

Covert Agent
In Reply To #11

Yeah that one was good.

Trainee
In Reply To #11

I don't get the expectation that Les Mis should be a musical since the book is nothing of the sort, I mean that's cool and all but my first exposure to the work was reading the book and then that Liam Neeson version came out and I heard nothing but complaints about how it wasn't a musical, like that it wasn't legitimate or something.

I should really check out the musical though, I really do like musicals if they're well written and George Costanza did have Les Miserables songs stuck in his head in that one episode of Seinfeld.

Trainee
Ice-Tea wrote:
Whatever you do , don't go to Jack reacher. Baby kittenswill die.

Dude, it's a Tom Cruise movie called "Jack Reacher"... what part of that sounded awesome?

Trainee
Gazhel wrote:
Bane? What you say, Bane? Eh?
I said "muffle-ruffle-muffles-can't-you-understand-what-I'm-saying?"

3rd Batman could have been written and directed so much better. They wasted so much time focusing on Batman's re-training in the cell when they could have gotten onto more important shit like kicking Bane's behind. The whole point of Batman Begins was to see Bruce Wane's journey in becoming Batman, we didn't seriously need to go through all that again in the latest.

Lack. of. important. editing. and. storytelling.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

New movies, yay or nay??
Rating:
Topic by: Chiquita
Posted: Dec 25, 12 - 4:13 AM
Last Reply: Jan 25, 13 - 7:04 AM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum