GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | Where is errybody when I can't sleep damnit?! Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Where is errybody when I can't sleep damnit?!
Rating:
Topic by: Chiquita
Posted: Dec 29, 12 - 11:40 AM
Last Reply: Feb 2, 13 - 5:06 AM
Go to : 
Page:
Author Where is errybody when I can't sleep damnit?!

Recruit
In Reply To #3
A spring-loaded potato masher sounds exciting, lat least potentially. Have you attempted to weaponize it yet?

He Leg
In Reply To #16

I'm left concerned over it's use. The recipe for the soup called for mashing the cubes of potato while they were in the pot of soup. Thankfully I only made soup for two, so the water level was low, but more soup would have meant a partly submerged handle, and a submerged internal spring. That would have bee very hard to clean... it's not dismantle-able-ish.

I imagine modern assault rifles are made to continue working after being submerged, but it seems to me that for the masher, it could lead to problems. Come to think of it, if a rifle is made to work after being in water, that doesn't necessary mean it'll be OK in thick soup, either.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #17

AK-47s famously work after they've been submerged in water.

Then again, they also work after they've been buried in mud and dug up again. Kalashnikov knew what he was doing when it came to reliability.

Most assault rifles aren't quite so sturdy though - even more modern ones than AKs. Only a few work with any water in the barrel. Most are utterly fucked by salt water corrosion, and are badly impaired by even a few silt particles - but will work okay after they've been thoroughly cleaned.

It's a bit of a design flaw, really. Given that soldiers have to tramp around in muddy fields and that.

Of course, the big advantage rifles have over potato mashers is that you can dismantle them for cleaning.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Covert Agent
I heard my baby's heart beat today :D

Covert Agent
In Reply To #18

The other plus of more modern rifles that aren't as durable as the Kalashnikov is that they can hit the broad side of a barn from a bit farther away than the distance from one end of the barn to the other.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
Chiquita wrote:
I heard my baby's heart beat today :D

Cool!

But also freaky. Really freaky. There are two hearts inside you right now. You're like a Time Lord.

-

In Reply To #20

I haven't ever fired any guns, but according to my brother (who has), Soviet-bloc AKs are "a lot more accurate" than he expected, and "about as accurate as an M-16" - bearing in mind he hasn't been officially trained in either, none were his weapons, and he mainly uses bullpup rifles.

(there are probably some more official-type comparisons knocking about, but I thought I'd throw that anecdote out there)

The ones with wooden stocks are also much heavier than they look, apparently.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #21

Accuracy of single shots might be similar, but I'm guessing the M-16 suffers less recoil.

Interesting how we manage to turn a topic about pregnancy-related insomnia into a discussion about assault rifles. Games don't make people violent? Yeah, right ;)

---

In Reply To #19

I'd be lying if I said I know the feeling, but that must have been a very special moment. Awesome.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #22

It would have been a US Army M-16 which is - if my gun-nerd-fu is right - burst-limited and a Souvenir AK, which I would be very disappointed if my brother wasn't firing in controlled bursts as per his training (that I paid for, with my taxes :wink: )

So yeah, I'd imagine that the real difference in accuracy comes when you get untrained people firing AKs on full auto and spraying their bullets up into the air.

(his OiC's office in Basra had bulletholes all over it from the toppling of Saddam - the locals fired up into the air in celebration, and then the bullets came back down again...)

Ludo Ergo Sum

Won the Internet...
Boom!

The Turtle moves...

Unimaginative Pseudonym
White House says "no" to Death Star

Ludo Ergo Sum

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #25

Time to get a new White House imo. Clearly they're not up for the job.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #26

This is the inevitable consequence of kicking the British out, I'm afraid.

We would have built a Death Star if we were still in charge. We had 'Empire' in our name and everything.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Trainee
In Reply To #27

I just heard this on the BBC, I enjoyed the comment about the cost of the Deathstar vs the cutting the deficit.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Soylent Dave wrote:
In Reply To #26

This is the inevitable consequence of kicking the British out, I'm afraid.

We would have built a Death Star if we were still in charge. We had 'Empire' in our name and everything.

Yet another valid argument for Australia not becoming a republic nation. Long live the Brits (but you can take away your English - tis a silly language).

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #29

As a counter-point I'm just going to say "Uluru".

Ludo Ergo Sum

Where is errybody when I can't sleep damnit?!
Rating:
Topic by: Chiquita
Posted: Dec 29, 12 - 11:40 AM
Last Reply: Feb 2, 13 - 5:06 AM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

© 2012-2023 GeekSpy Forums.