GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | IGN/GameSpy Forum Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
IGN/GameSpy Forum
Rating:
Topic by: Catfish
Posted: Dec 15, 12 - 12:10 AM
Last Reply: Dec 19, 12 - 3:31 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
Author IGN/GameSpy Forum

Low Level Operative
Why you no post thar?

He Leg
One forum is enough for me at the moment I think. Also, I am an IGN hater.

What I don't get is why the GSFers over there are so keen to ensure their GameSpy name continues on - it's delaying the inevitable. At some point it will stop, and those forums will be renamed. I would not be surprised if IGN wants to completely scrub the brand from its online presence at some point in future. Particularly with the sale of GameSpy Technologies to Glu, and all the crap flying around and confusion with the single brand being split between two companies. If I was IGN I'd be keen to distance myself from that as much as possible.

I wouldn't say anything is imminent, since they're still advertising for Mike Nelson's replacement as editor on GameSpy.com, but it has got to be on the radar now.

The Man With The Golden LOLDONG
I go over there sometimes. When I remember...

Trainee
In Reply To #3

I'm usually there (every day) but I do stop by here every week or so to check in. In the very least I'd like to keep up some level of contact with all of these great people, even if I'll never be able to get to know them as well as I once did (less posts, less opportunity).

Since I'm here, played Munchkin again last night, lost both games. Still had fun.

Low Level Operative
It just seems odd that we're split into two communities, only a few of us post on both forums

He Leg
In Reply To #5

Well, it could have been worse. It could be one group of people on one forum, and then a loosely connected network of people who don't interact much beyond their immediate contacts...

But thankfully we've more or less made it two groups now. Which reminds me, I need to try and get Ninja Hamster in here.

Paleo Wannabe
I never got into IGN forums. Just didn't get hooked.

Won the Internet...
CoyoteExile wrote:
I go over there sometimes. When I remember...

Same here...and I can't post over there at work...

The Turtle moves...

Covert Agent
Cyrris wrote:
At some point it will stop, and those forums will be renamed.

That would be right in line with the way everything has been handled until now. 3d Action Planet was merged with other boards for Gamespy PC, and then we were merged with Gamespy Main, and now we are Gamespy on IGN, soon to be merged with the GCB, and then we will get bought up by some other corporation and be merged with their forums as well. It's the cycle of online life.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #1

I don't want to associate with the proletariat.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Low Level Operative
Cyrris wrote:
What I don't get is why the GSFers over there are so keen to ensure their GameSpy name continues on - it's delaying the inevitable.

IGN took care of that one for me by taking my nick away from me. Meh.

Intellectually, I know I shouldn't be attached to the nick... anyone could take it. And it's already happened. The odds against the coincidence were staggering.

Got an IM years ago from someone out of the blue. The nick was almost the same as the name of a guy I used to work with, so I took up the convo. We chatted a while, but the conversation got stranger and stranger until it was pretty clear we had no idea who the other was, and he finally asked my name.

I responded that he'd IMed me intially, so he could fucking well tell me his name first.

It was indeed the guy I thought it was, from my first job out of college. I, however, was NOT the person he thought I was. Turned out that he knew a guy from Texas who also went by The Taco Prophet online.

Fucking weird.

Where was I? Oh right. Polar bears. Fucking polar bears. That shit is unacceptable.

Covert Agent
In Reply To #1

Before this place (re-)existed? I rarely remembered to check it out, and when I did most of the active posters were from the GameCube forums or something... they all seemed really familiar with each other but not really familiar to me...

Now? Because this feels like home. I was barely capable of adapting to the IGN forums without having this golden oldie to fall back on. Now that I do, fuck that noise.

IGN/GameSpy Forum
Rating:
Topic by: Catfish
Posted: Dec 15, 12 - 12:10 AM
Last Reply: Dec 19, 12 - 3:31 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum