GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | What are you up to these holidays? Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
What are you up to these holidays?
Rating:
Topic by: Cyrris
Posted: Dec 11, 12 - 1:28 PM
Last Reply: Jan 17, 13 - 1:45 AM
Go to : 
Page:
Author What are you up to these holidays?

Low Level Operative
writing my thesis
procrastinating writing my thesis
seeing family for a few hours
writing my thesis

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #16

Stuff that. Dare I ask what its on? They're just too much work.

Low Level Operative
Symmetric Presentations of (large) Finite Groups with Applications to Music Theory

(math major)

He Leg
In Reply To #18

Being a non-academic, I'll ask you the same question I asked about my partner's thesis:

What are the potential practical applications?

The Man With The Golden LOLDONG
Waiting for it to be over because I fucking hate christmas.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #19

I'm also a non-academic, I was offered honours though but turned it down. My meteorology training year (last year) actually gives me the same credentials as honours so I'm kinda glad that I left uni when I did. It would have turned out to be a complete waste of time otherwise. I could now go onto masters, but......nah. CBF'd.

@Catfish. Also kinda interested as to what practical applications your thesis could lead to, if any. So long as you enjoy it, that's the main thing.

Covert Agent
Well hubby now has to work the second week of vacation so that ensures a full week of gaming for me.

Low Level Operative
Cyrris wrote:
What are the potential practical applications?

Gazhel wrote:
@Catfish. Also kinda interested as to what practical applications your thesis could lead to, if any. So long as you enjoy it, that's the main thing.

There are none. And I hate it. Thanks for reminding me :(

It's what I get for choosing the advisor I chose, I have to work on what he's working on. Most of his students simply do the "Symmetric Presentations of Finite Groups" part, I had to fight to get "with Applications to Music Theory" added on there, something I'm actually interested in.

I will be able to mathematically generate new music (not necessarily good music), but that's hardly practical.

At this point I just want the damn degree over with.

It's a purely theoretical work, and since the classification of finite groups is already believed to be complete, probably useless. We may find simpler ways to present some of the larger groups but I doubt it.

Last edited by Catfish on Dec 15, 12 - 8:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Trainee
In Reply To #22

YES! Lucky!

or... not.

Trainee
In Reply To #1

I'll prob be working Christmas night. I don't expect it will be too busy but who knows, maybe people will want to eat Chinese food. It's time and a half so I don't object and our Christmas has always been Christmas Eve anyhow. I have no presents to open so I'll just be going to Midnight Mass (yo I respect ya) then maybe come home and make some champurrado and eat some tamales, stay up late and go to bed in the morning. Then I'll get up and enjoy my 13 bucks an hour for the night. Yup, that's all time and a half adds up to for me, I've done so well. :tongue:

Unimaginative Pseudonym
CoyoteExile wrote:
Waiting for it to be over because I fucking hate christmas.

I used to be like that but then... oh no wait, I am still like that because Christmas is just a big parade of shit wherein people force joviality upon me when I am really not in the mood. Even more so since my mum died.

It's more tolerable if you make other people hate or be miserable around Christmas as well (for example, reminding them that your mum, who liked Christmas, is dead - that's a good mood-killer for most occasions, but it takes quite a lot of preparation (the best timing is just after they tell you about their plans for a traditional family christmas; it really shuts them the fuck up))

Ludo Ergo Sum

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #1

I'll be taking part in the 107th Annual Great Family Argument. It's traditional.

Won the Internet...
Looking for a car to buy...

The Turtle moves...

He Leg
In Reply To #27

The airing of grievances? Sounds like Festivus.

Covert Agent
Going to a christmas party at the kung fu school on Thursday.

The sister and her children are planning on stopping by on Christmas day. Maybe stay for a night or two.

Waiting for it to be January...

What are you up to these holidays?
Rating:
Topic by: Cyrris
Posted: Dec 11, 12 - 1:28 PM
Last Reply: Jan 17, 13 - 1:45 AM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum