GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | Glory of DPRK!! Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Glory of DPRK!!
Rating:
Topic by: Gazhel
Posted: Jan 29, 13 - 5:33 AM
Last Reply: Feb 7, 13 - 6:53 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
Author Glory of DPRK!!

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Man people look happy in Pyongyang. Maybe WE'RE the ones fooled by capitalist pig western nations? This website is mesmorising in the least. Next stop N-Korea?

"The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a genuine workers' state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasants, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests."

Sounds like a dream. They has t-shirts.

http://www.korea-dpr.com/

He Leg
I wonder if the DPRK's people can access that website from their version of the Internet...

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #2

If I could get over the fact that I would be giving money to N Korea I would so buy a couple of those shirts.

Low Level Operative
About a year ago a North Korean restaurant opened in Amsterdam. It went bankrupt after only a few months. Mainly because it was crazily expensive (like 80 euros per person, without drinks), but the whole part about funding the North Korean government can't have helped either.

Within my group of friends there's been an ongoing fascination with North Korea. Mostly because of all the running gags (we take every opportunity we can get to share links with crazy facts or memes), but with a definite serious note. There's a very good chance would have gone to that restaurant, despite the "funding" part, if it hadn't been so expensive.

I can see myself going to North Korea on vacation some day, just for the unique experience. And of course, when you visit the country you can make sure some of your money ends up with the people, as opposed to just the government.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
DarkFlow wrote:
And of course, when you visit the country you can make sure some of your money ends up with the people, as opposed to just the government.

I'm sure giving money to North Korean secret police (aka 'the only people allowed to talk to westerners') would work out extremely well for everyone :tongue:

-

By far the best thing I've ever seen about North Korea was this Danish documentary, about two Danish comedians (of Danish ancestry) putting on a show in the DPRK.

The trailer on the site gives you an idea of what it's like, but some of the most interesting stuff comes from the fact that one of the comedians (Jacob Nossel) has cerebral palsy - so he gets to say stuff on camera that the North Korean censors don't pick up on (even the ones who speak Danish well don't speak "spastic Danish", as he says at one point...)

Also some really terrifying bits, like when Jacob asks their handler why he hasn't seen any other disabled people in Pyongyang, and gets told that they don't have that problem in North Korea.

Or when you see that Pyongyang is utterly deserted, despite the fact that it should have a population of almost 3 million.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Last edited by Soylent Dave on Jan 31, 13 - 7:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
Apropos

Ludo Ergo Sum

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #5

Henry Rollins was able to visit as well. He has some intresting things to say on the matter if you look up his interveiws.

Love that man. http://www.worldhum.com/features/travel-interviews/interview-with-henry-rollins-punk-rock-travel-20111101/

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #7

They are good, I clearly haven't read enough of his words (part of me still thinks "Black Flag Henry Rollins?")

The DPRK really scares me - I suppose that's why it's fascinating as well.

Not because I think they're a threat to anyone else (they aren't, not realistically). But because there exists a country in the world today that perfectly embodies that described in 1984.

They have always been at war with South Korea. They have always been allied with China and the Soviet Union. Everyone outside the DPRK is poor and starving. They venerate posters of their dead leaders and seem to express genuine emotion (or emotion so convincingly feigned it's even more terrifying) when they're ordered to by the state.

I know we suffer quite a bit of media & government manipulation of our own, but North Korea is a fucking masterclass.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Paleo Wannabe
How about this

He Leg
In Reply To #9

I loved the effects. It was like going straight back to 1991.

Trainee
In Reply To #1

Some sweet propaganda but those shirts are poorly made... little rectangles in the middle of plain blanks? Amateur hour.

Glory of DPRK!!
Rating:
Topic by: Gazhel
Posted: Jan 29, 13 - 5:33 AM
Last Reply: Feb 7, 13 - 6:53 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum