GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | To get the ball rolling, what are you playing right now? Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
To get the ball rolling, what are you playing right now?
Rating:
Topic by: CoyoteExile
Posted: Sep 21, 12 - 7:02 PM
Last Reply: May 30, 14 - 11:38 PM
Go to : 
Page:
Author To get the ball rolling, what are you playing right now?

He Leg
Heh, it's been yanked from Amazon.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #271

I'll admit that I had loads of fun reading up on new developments as my workday progressed. I'm waiting on Angry Joe to review Sim City. It'll be nothing short of hilarious, like just about all his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGX2WE4QUw8&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=6

He Leg
Just saw this Kickstarter today and am very tempted to throw in some funds.

Quote:
Out of all of the possible types of games our fledgling studio could pick as our first project, why did we pick a city simulation title as our first effort?

Easy, it was out of a combination of how much we loved some of the original city simulation games back in the early PC days and our displeasure with the direction the new SimCity has taken under the iron fist of EA. We don't agree with the removal of single player, the lack of terraforming, lack of modding, and above all them forcing the worst form of draconian DRM on its players known as the "Always On-line" requirement. They are seriously not going to let you play their game if you aren't online. Anyone that has ever been forced to play under that DRM knows how terrible it is. Not only can your internet access stop you from playing, if EA is having any server issues (Yeah those never happen right?) you'll get a nice fat error message instead of your game starting. Forget playing while traveling or anything. This is not a good recipe for a simulation game. EA should really just rename it SimFarmVille and get it over with.

Covert Agent
In Reply To #273

I just backed Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter. Basically all the dudes from Planescape: Torment creating a "thematic successor". I'm also tempted to back Dreamfall Chapters (in it's last day), the third game in the trilogy of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Really good adventure games. What's funny is that Dreamfall came out 8 years after The Longest Journey, and Dreamfall Chapters will be 8-9 years after Dreamfall. Interesting development cycle...

Decided not to back Dreamfall Chapters. I've spread my money too thin lately, I'll buy it when it comes out since they did get funded.

The Man With The Golden LOLDONG
fett wrote:
Finished Max Payne. Played the Bioshock demo to see if it's something I might be interested in playing sometime. I don't think so, I'm not a fan of shooters. But I will say that if I were into shooters I think I'd totally be into this one. It seems pretty cool. And I love love love the art style.

I can hear Coyote cursing me under his breath.

Bought Mass Effect 3. Time to get my Shepard on.

While I fully support the playing (and endless replaying) of Mass Effect games, I think you should give Bioshock a try. I'm not a fan of shooters either but I loved Bioshock. It's not a shooter shooter, if that makes sense. It's not run and gun. It's more story, story, story, gun. It also makes great use of two handed fighting which I first remember seeing in Undying, in the way back. It's at least 50% RPG and 50% shooter.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Tomb Raider. Everyone must play the reboot. Period, no exceptions. I'll come right out and say it - this game has just set a new benchmark for single player games; action, cinematography, storytelling. The voice acting is also exceptional.

Lara Croft puts all action heroes to shame. S-H-A-M-E.

Recruit
Gazhel wrote:
Tomb Raider. Everyone must play the reboot. Period, no exceptions. I'll come right out and say it - this game has just set a new benchmark for single player games; action, cinematography, storytelling. The voice acting is also exceptional.

Lara Croft puts all action heroes to shame. S-H-A-M-E.

I preferred the game over Uncharted 3, but I don't think the character writing was particularly strong. Enjoyable plot and location though, and they nailed the gameplay.

Covert Agent
Finished Mass Effect 3 last night. It reminded me why I love playing games. So powerful.

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #278

New endings or the original ones?

Covert Agent
In Reply To #279

New ones, though I've seen videos of the old ones and I don't think they're that bad. Don't get me wrong, the new ones are an improvement.

In other news, next I will be attempting to play Baldur's Gate. Again. Attempt #3 I think. I really want to experience the story, but I find the gameplay so damn infuriating.

Recruit
In Reply To #280

Did you get to play Leviathan, Omega and the Citadel DLC with it? I hear that improves the first experience a lot.

I loved ME3. The constant minor requests for people on the Citadel were weird. The ending was really, really bad without the extended ending and DLC. The way it contradicts some of the major themes of the game for the sake of deus ex machina was infuriating.

Covert Agent
In Reply To #281

Actually, Baldur's Gate is on hold for the moment while I finish playing Citadel. It's freaking hysterical. It's pretty much a James Bond movie in the Mass Effect world. Haven't played Leviathan or Omega. Have to save my pennies for those.

Covert Agent
Ok, while I have severe philosophical objections to DLC, the Citadel DLC was worth every penny. It is, in one word: hilarious. I think my stomach hurts from laughing.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
Hardflip wrote:
In Reply To #280

Did you get to play Leviathan, Omega and the Citadel DLC with it? I hear that improves the first experience a lot.

I loved ME3. The constant minor requests for people on the Citadel were weird. The ending was really, really bad without the extended ending and DLC. The way it contradicts some of the major themes of the game for the sake of deus ex machina was infuriating.

I played it through with Leviathan DLC and the new endings (which I enjoyed), and then went to look at what everyone had been crying about with the original endings.

[spoilers from here on out]

I'm still not sure I really grasp the actual objection people had to the original ending(s); they're kinda what the game was pointing you towards all along - the Reapers actually are an (almost) unstoppable force, and trying to fight them head on doesn't work.

I think the widespread player disappointment points to a bit of a disconnect between what characters expect of Shepard and what the Universe expects - with rather too many players believing Shepard's hype.

I appreciate that you spend most of the game (the trilogy, even) building an army to fight the Reapers, but it was always going to be a losing battle unless you find a way to stop the cycle. The game telegraphs it constantly; with the Protheans, the Geth / Quarian conflict, EDI, etc.

(it's not exactly the world's most original plot, it's nabbed directly from Battlestar: Galactica, after all)

It might have been nice if the decision-making part of out-thinking the cycle was more organic than just dialogue and some button-pressing, but then this was a Mass Effect game, so it's not exactly a massive departure...

Obviously I read a lot of it second-hand, but I can't shake the idea that the root cause of most of the criticisms is that too many players wanted to 'win', without any trade-offs, in a Space Opera scenario that had been pretty clearly set-up as 'no-win' from the start.

That's sci-fi code for "you can win, but only if there's some martyrdom first"

Ludo Ergo Sum

Covert Agent
Huh, so much for playing Baldur's Gate, my ancient ass copy won't get past the first 4 zones. I realize I could get the GOG version or the fancy new version, but that would be spending money which is what I am trying to avoid.

I'm guessing I'll have similar problems with BGII and Planescape. Which leaves me....no games to play. Huh. I guess it's time to replay some. Until I can save a few dollars.

To get the ball rolling, what are you playing right now?
Rating:
Topic by: CoyoteExile
Posted: Sep 21, 12 - 7:02 PM
Last Reply: May 30, 14 - 11:38 PM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

© 2012-2023 GeekSpy Forums.