GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | Musings of a ForumPlanetary Navigator Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Musings of a ForumPlanetary Navigator
Rating:
Topic by: Cyrris
Posted: Sep 26, 12 - 7:34 PM
Last Reply: Oct 14, 12 - 9:14 AM
Go to : 
Page:
Author Musings of a ForumPlanetary Navigator

Low Level Operative
CoyoteExile wrote:
In Reply To #1

More than just text on a screen sums it up pretty well. I met several people from /gamespy (where easily 95 of my posting took place) that I still talk to, some pretty much daily, and consider extremely good friends. I've met up with several people and all were as awesome in person. The place just had character and characters that made me want to go back again and again. Hell, some days I still miss it and definitely miss some of the people I fell out of contact with.

Ditto. There was a special mix there for a while, with the right folks running it and the right folks populating it, and it just fucking worked. In retrospect, we were part of something big, and something special. It was sad (and I'm still a little bitter) to see it go, but nothing's forever.

The parabolic arc of the Gamespy Forums' life and my little corner of it is a pattern that plays itself out as endlessly, tastelessly, and irresistably as an old Star Trek temporal loop episode. I've finally accepted it, and keep an eye out in real life for when the people I care about start bailing out so I know when it's time for me to move on. It's started at work. We've been losing assholes for a while, but someone I really like and respect left last month. Le sad.

My closest friends in the world today are folks I met there. They're some of my oldest friends now, too. God damn, I'm old. But so are you fuckers, so neener.

Covert Agent
Oh and as to not be heartless, it was definitely above all the people. I was breaking down the more technical reasons why I thought such fine folk gravitated to these forums over any other.

I think I first struck something up with Suerte and then it just continued onward.

Also, fett mentioned the Daily Victim. That was GameSpy's hook that kept me coming to the front site.

Covert Agent
Archives for it, awesome: http://crzysdrs.sytes.net/dv/

Low Level Operative
I had to think for a while about how to respond to this.  Some of you I've kept in close contact with, most of you not so much. But I do agree with Taco in that while it was happening GSF was a brilliant community.  I think it's a huge testament that we can come back a decade later and launch straight into arguments about Othar, the Almighty Sock, crotchbats and math(s).

I'm not going to speculate on "where it all went wrong", because I honestly don't think it did while I was there (I had left by the time IGN committed the treachery mentioned by Coyote).  My priorities shifted and I moved in a different direction.  I'm just glad that I was a part of it and that I have an opportunity to be a part of it again. :happy:

Recruit
In Reply To #16

It was my first exposure to "interacting with and befriending strangers on the internet" and in that regard it was a pretty great environment given the shaky ground of the time. Nowadays that sort of thing is extremely common thanks to MMOs and social networking so it's easy to forget how unique places like this were.

I feel bad that I fell out of regular contact with many of you. I was just a stupid kid in the halcyon days of this forum (much like many of you) which, along with a self selection process I'm still unsure about, resulted in a good group. However, as Taco Prophet mentioned, this sort of cycle happens literally ALL THE TIME in life, I was just too young to appreciate it until more friends fell by the wayside, including the GSF people I met IRL. GSF actually taught me something about keeping up contacts, how to manage a long term friendship especially when you can't interact with your friend in person (sup college buddies). Or more specifically, what to do to avoid what happened since I appreciate the irony that I haven't spoken to almost everyone here in a decade.

There was definitely a je ne sais quois. Also Taco Prophet chatting with me back then about the programming industry actually impacted my professional life significantly: I currently work for a competitor of his (assuming he's still at the same company).

He Leg
Holliday wrote:
Also, fett mentioned the Daily Victim. That was GameSpy's hook that kept me coming to the front site.

I frequented GameSpy.com for the Grudge and the reviews mostly, before I started on the forums a couple of months later. I think the humour of the place had a lot to do with the types of characters that came on to the forums.

I think that to an extent, the site had character itself. Just this morning I have discovered 14 ForumPlanet avatars which I missed in my original searches - we now have all 74 originals in the gallery (yay!). Those avatars have character themselves - very memorable, and drawn by a proper comic artist. I think it makes a difference at least on first impressions. I also think the avatar choice helps to give you a subtle impression of some aspects of a forumer's personality.

Low Level Operative
moz wrote:
I currently work for a competitor of his (assuming he's still at the same company).

I changed jobs about 3 years ago. I work for an investment bank now. It's given me anger issues but I love it.

Covert Agent
In Reply To #20
Remember when we stayed up in your dorm room till 5am playing a monster game of Rise of Nations?

Covert Agent
Unimaginative Pseudonym wrote:
For how many of us was it the first place we actually hung out properly online?

That will have been part of the impact, I'm sure (3dap, and forumplanet in general wasn't my first internet community, but it was *one of* the first, and the one I settled into the most, when I was still fairly young)

Although I think the fact that it attracted more than its share of nerdy-but-not-too-nerdy people probably helped; there aren't many people I've stayed in contact with for more than a decade, and there are fewer I'd be interested in recontacting after the same period of time. Quite a few of them are related to forumplanet in some way.

3dap was the first forum I ever joined. Mostly because of a discussion between McKree, Kurayanaminok, and TheBigDuke. It wasn't anything memorable, I just remember having an opinion that I wanted to share, so I signed up and didn't say anything. And then signed up again a month later under a new name and did say something. And then switched back to the original account because of a glitch, where I built up 20,000+ posts that I lost to IGN. Oh well ;)

Recruit
For me, strange as it is to say, I feel like I grew up on 3dap. I must have been about 13 when I first signed up, so it was certainly formative in some way. I remember how nervous I was when I made my very first topic, hoping that it wouldn't sink without a trace, and that the cool cats with 1000+ posts wouldn't hate me.

I loved Fargo and Shai, Hellchick, Thrrrrppppt!... In some ways, I've ended up following a similar path to Fargo (though far less illustrious :D), so the Gamespy network will always hold a special place in my heart.

I do a lot of writing these days, and, as silly as it sounds, having somewhere to spend time writing every day was obviously incredibly valuable. Many of my posts were about movies, music and (duh) games - things I've ended up dealing with professionally. 'Talking' to people from various corners of the globe was also just brilliant. I like to travel, and I think the forums played a part in that too.

Unimaginative Pseudonym wrote:
Quote:
Perfect Traffic - /gamespy was never too frantic to not keep up with, but never to slow as to get bored with. You could actually just "browse the forums" for hours on end and keep conversations going at a good pace while doing other PC stuff (reading articles, AIM, a little homework for me at the time).

Still a really important thing for me; I can't be doing with fora that move too quickly, I can't see how you can possibly make friends or build a community in places that have 200 posts a second (and what's the point of replying when nobody else will ever read what you have to say?)

I'd go along with this. There was something about the pace of life. It was a relaxed French village, not central Tokyo. We actually knew each other! Or at least it felt like it.

For what it's worth, I've barely frequented a forum since Gamespy's glory days. I don't know if that's because I grew out of it (doubtful), or because I couldn't find anywhere that was quite the same.

Won the Internet...
Cyrris wrote:
And even on ForumPlanet, I don't think every forum was like that. I visited many a forum on that planet and I don't think very many still have groups of people that currently interact regularly. I of course don't claim to be one of those grand ForumPlanet conquerors like Dracion or Oopah, but I saw my fair share. There are still many circles of friends who owe their introductions and early interactions to GSF.

I prefer ravenger, or pillager actually...

The Turtle moves...

He Leg
I did actually consider writing Conquistador at first, but then decided against it. I don't think you actually killed any natives...

Trainee
Personally I stayed because of a desire to collate a huge database of information on random people through polling. I have since sold such details (age, nationality, weight, stance on gun control, thought on who is the most attractive of small subsets of early 2000's celebrities, whether you pee in the shower, etc.) to marketing companies.

I'm sorry folks but I'm a contemptible shit!

Either that or I stayed because there was a broad range of people who had lots of different and interesting perspectives on a wide range of things, who shared a love of gaming, who were much more amusing than me and who were just a bunch of awesome folk. Certainly the pace of posting being reasonable but not overwhelming was great as you felt that people would pay attention to what you had to say (or if they didn't there was a good reason for it) and the moderating was (in most cases) very well pitched.

Covert Agent
I banned Violent Chemistry for a month for trolling.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #29

My finest moment as moderator was deleting the Word Association thread.

All the butthurt people complaining that their postcounts had dropped by several thousand was particularly satisfying. At least one user dropped from hundreds of posts to below the threshold required to have a custom avatar.

That was especially brilliant.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Musings of a ForumPlanetary Navigator
Rating:
Topic by: Cyrris
Posted: Sep 26, 12 - 7:34 PM
Last Reply: Oct 14, 12 - 9:14 AM
Go to : 
Page:
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum