GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | Goodbye LucasArts Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Goodbye LucasArts
Rating:
Topic by: Cookiejesus
Posted: Apr 3, 13 - 7:53 PM
Last Reply: May 7, 13 - 8:51 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
Author Goodbye LucasArts

Paleo Wannabe
NOOOOOOOO!

My dreams of a Grim Fandango revival have been crushed. Damn you, Disney!

He Leg
I have to admit, I did not see that coming. But then, I've not played a LucasArts game in years, so I am not really 'in the know' as to the quality of their recent releases (or their reception, I might add).

Covert Agent
Cookiejesus wrote:
NOOOOOOOO!

My dreams of a Grim Fandango revival have been crushed. Damn you, Disney!

There....there is another Grim Fandango fan around here besides me? I still listen to the soundtrack to this day.

Also:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For years I wore LucasArts hats. I loved that company. To be fair though, they haven't made anything in, like, a while. I know there was KOTOR's, but those were mostly licensed out.

Paleo Wannabe
The claim they will keep the latest game alive. What is it 1313?

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #4

I think I read over at Game Informer that Star Wars 1313 was also scrapped.

Paleo Wannabe
Once again: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! An evil master the Mouse is. For anyone who cares, Raven released the source code for JK:II and JK:JA.

Low Level Operative
Another Grim Fandango fan reporting in :)

To me, LucasArts is a part of gaming history. For that reason, this news saddens me. Comparable to Sega pulling out of consoles or the end of the original Atari.

As a business decision, I fully understand it. Why bother keeping a studio alive that hasn't really produced anything worthwhile in a long time?

While I've always hoped for it, I never actually expected a Grim Fandango follow-up. So nothing has been lost there. Even then, the IP isn't going anywhere, so if somebody at Disney decides Grim Fandango (or Monkey Island or Full Throttle or whatever) deserves another shot, it can still become a reality.

Star Wars I'm not worried about (well, maybe 1313, which seemed nice enough). After all, with the upcoming Star Wars reboot, Disney will undoubtedly want to cash in on the hype by releasing some games. They'll just be made by different studios. In a sense it gives them more freedom to ramp up development when needed, without the nasty layoffs once a project's finished.

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #7

More than an actual follow up, I'd love a Grim Fandango HD version... or something like that (Or would have loved).

Unimaginative Pseudonym
DarkFlow wrote:
As a business decision, I fully understand it. Why bother keeping a studio alive that hasn't really produced anything worthwhile in a long time?

A long time is only a couple of years, depending on whether you liked Force Unleashed or not (it's not in my top ten or anything, but it did something interesting and fun with Star Wars, which is always refreshing.

Quote:
Star Wars I'm not worried about (well, maybe 1313, which seemed nice enough). After all, with the upcoming Star Wars reboot, Disney will undoubtedly want to cash in on the hype by releasing some games. They'll just be made by different studios. In a sense it gives them more freedom to ramp up development when needed, without the nasty layoffs once a project's finished.

My worry about that would be that this sort of move could seem to suggest Disney want to produce the games at arm's length (i.e. license them out), which isn't historically the path to 'quality games'.

Star Wars games have historically been one of the few film tie-in franchises to produce consistently good - or at least above average - games (with one or two notable exceptions). I can't help thinking that part of that was due to LucasArts oversight (they did reportedly keep a fairly tight rein on things), and that Disney may just not be that bothered.

After all - Star Wars games will sell like hot cakes no matter how shit they are. We know that. Disney knows that.

And we've just seen the spectacularly shit Colonial Marines spaffed out straight to the top of the sales charts - Disney know they own a hotter license than that, are they really going to enforce any quality control on their licensees?

I think it'd be a shame if we'd seen our last decent Star Wars game (even while admitting that our last excellent one was quite a long a time ago). I like TIE fighters and lightsabres.

Ludo Ergo Sum

Paleo Wannabe
In Reply To #9
Weren't they also responsible for Star Wars Kinect.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
In Reply To #10

Yeah, but I was trying to be positive... :P

KotoR II being half-finished was basically their fault as well (although given Obsidian's performance since, I'm starting to think that actually maybe it wasn't, and Obsidian are just shit at finishing games...)

Ludo Ergo Sum

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Maybe Disney will just throw out their IPs into skips. Tim Schafer, I bet, would be an absolutely brilliant dumpster diver given half a chance.

Paleo Wannabe
Well, Disney & EA now work together to keep them SW games coming...

He Leg
In Reply To #13

I cringed at that headline when I saw it, but upon seeing the three studios named, I am not as worried. They all have fairly reasonable titles in their respective stables. It'll just be a matter of ensuring EA keeps its grubby hands off as much as possible.

Low Level Operative
In Reply To #14

That's the problem with EA in a nutshell.

They have the potential to ruin even the best franchises, but when they control themselves, great things still happen.

Of course, exactly the same goes for Disney.

Goodbye LucasArts
Rating:
Topic by: Cookiejesus
Posted: Apr 3, 13 - 7:53 PM
Last Reply: May 7, 13 - 8:51 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum