GeekSpy Forums | The Lobby - Misc Discussion | So Long GameSpy... Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
So Long GameSpy...
Rating:
Topic by: Cyrris
Posted: Feb 22, 13 - 12:40 PM
Last Reply: Jun 6, 13 - 6:56 AM
Go to : 
Page:
Author So Long GameSpy...

He Leg
I must admit I was not terribly surprised to see this today: Goodbye, And Thank You From The GameSpy Team. I am in fact more surprised to realise that it's been about a decade since IGN purchased it, which is far longer than I was expecting it to stick around as a separate site.

I don't know how I missed the news that Ziff Davis had bought IGN a few weeks ago, but stuff like this sounds like standard post-acquisition streamlining. There did seem to be a lot of overlap in IGN's collection of sites. UGO/1UP are on the chopping block as well. Deciding that they'll no longer run ads for GameSpot alongside their content also sounds like a sensible move.

Still, it's a bit sad. I was actually reading GameSpy's front page more regularly in the last few months than I had in about a decade. Their coverage was actually kinda decent. With me only being a PC gamer, it was all I needed.

*removes hat*

Covert Agent
Just saw this on Reddit, which reminded me to check in here...

*pours one out*

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #1

I was shocked myself, as to was our evil dictator and muffin-love'n dog groomer. I've checked the site a few times today, hoping, just hoping for another article. I have no idea where I'm going to get my gaming news from any more. I've tried Giant Bomb and a couple of others, but I've always found Gamespy's reviews entertaining and easy to digest.

Give me suggestions and links KTHXBYE.

Low Level Operative
*bagpipes playing*

Ahh Gamespy, to me you were the old ailing pet that had to be put down. You could no longer hold your bladder, you smelled funny, and you kept walking into the wall. Despite all that, we still loved you.

COMMENCE THE 21 CROTCHBAT SALUTE!!

Paleo Wannabe
This is how I found out:

Trainee
I posted my thoughts on IGN and on the Gamespy Discuss discussion on the goodbye letter. I had a vested interest in the site, even now. I submitted story tips to them including the Dues Ex: HR Gamestop fiasco, I won Call of Duty XP tickets from them last year by being the only guy in a sea of people bragging about their COD prowess to write an essay about how much I sucked at Call of Duty, and years back Fargo posted a letter my brother wrote as an article (Quake 2 Shotgun vs Burger King Whopper).

It was a great site, and even though it hit a rough patch, it had been doing really well recently, writing some great articles and reviews and I started to see Gamespy reviews appearing on new products again --giving me hope that the old site was making a comeback! Alas, Ziff-Davis did not see it that way, and upon purchasing IGN decided to cut two of the internet's longest running review sites (Gamespy and 1-up) down in an effort to cut costs and slim down.

If you guys hadn't checked the site out in a while, I recommend you all do so now, while it's still up. I disagree with Dave/Management's opinion of the site. If Gamespy was a sick pet, it had made a remarkable recovery and was perhaps beginning to tapdance before someone decided they didn't want all the trouble of a singing, tapdancing pet on their hands.

And even still it's hard to accept. Sort of like when my father died, the reality of the site being gone will not hit me until some random time when I think to check it and it's no longer there. You will be missed old friend, I had hoped for better.

Covert Agent
Once 3d Action Planet went under it was just forums to me.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
See, I stop writing stuff for 3dap and only a decade later Gamespy as a whole gets cancelled.

COINCIDENCE?

Ludo Ergo Sum

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #8

Don't start writing for anyone else! On second thought, can you start writing articles for IGN and AskMen?

He Leg
In Reply To #9

No! We need him to go and write for Fox News.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #10

But if there's no Fox News, Chuck Norris can never again appear as a news anchor :(

Trainee
In Reply To #11

A small price to pay!

If this forums had likes I would have liked so many of these posts.

Covert Agent
*tear*

Won the Internet...
Very sad...

The Turtle moves...

Trainee
In Reply To #11

You say that like it's a bad thing.

So Long GameSpy...
Rating:
Topic by: Cyrris
Posted: Feb 22, 13 - 12:40 PM