GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | Roberts Space Industries Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Roberts Space Industries
Rating:
Topic by: Gazhel
Posted: Oct 22, 12 - 8:02 AM
Last Reply: Nov 27, 12 - 12:03 AM
Go to : 
Page: 1
Author Roberts Space Industries

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Wondering if anyone here has already pledged for Robbert's new game, which as far as I can make is a combination of EVE online / Freespace series. The same guy who made Wing Commander and Freelancer.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

looks promising.

Why Did I Do That?
It's an interesting concept but I feel for the scope of the game, level of detail he wants achieve graphically, and the time frame in which he wants to have it launched his cost estimates are exceedingly low. I wish him and his team the best of luck.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
Edge Damodred wrote:
I wish him and his team the best of luck.

As do I seeing as the industry needs more people trying to break free of the clutches of companies like EA and Ubisoft (as an example). Competition is healthy, and who knows...he may actually pull off a screamer of a game.

*fingers, toes and eyebrows crossed*

Just Beat Coyote (off)
A bit of an update on Star Citizen.

At the end of the allocated crowd funding time, the game secured $6.5 million and since then is nearing 7 bit ones. Certainly broke a record. On top of this as it turns out, they secured $12 million on the basis that their minimum target of $2 million was reached. Well, they more than tripled it. With this much attention, they may well be able to secure even more funds from outside sources.

He Leg
In Reply To #4

Good news I guess. Kickstarter does make for a decent litmus test of community interest, though I'd wonder how that translates into mass market appeal once it's released.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
In Reply To #5

The thing I've noticed personally, is that if I back a project its because its fresh, exciting and genuinely looks like its going to rock. However, fast forward a few months...kinda forgotten about it and meh. MEH. For this reason alone I've only backed 3 projects so far.

I think like you said its a really good way of market sampling, but your guess is as good as mine what happens afterwards.

Personally, I love being smacked with an awesome game right off the bat without knowing about it. My favourite Kickstarter is Tim Schafer's Double Fine Adventure. Honestly, I'm not as hyped as much for the actual game itself, but the monthly vlog releases on the production itself.

I'm betting Star Citizen is going to rock. How well it holds up in the multilayer aspect in the months after release could be a different story.

Roberts Space Industries
Rating:
Topic by: Gazhel
Posted: Oct 22, 12 - 8:02 AM
Last Reply: Nov 27, 12 - 12:03 AM
Go to : 
Page: 1
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum