GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | The slings and arrows of microtransactions Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
The slings and arrows of microtransactions
Rating:
Topic by: vermouth
Posted: Mar 3, 13 - 1:11 AM
Last Reply: Mar 11, 13 - 8:55 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
Author The slings and arrows of microtransactions

Trainee
So I downloaded Real Racing 3 for iPhone. I kind of liked the last one and this one's free. It's a beautiful game. If you're used to motion control games it controls really well.

But then you get playing and it's apparent that the microtransactions are just out of hand. After every race you're hit with a bill for in-game currency number one that's pretty slim.

When you want to upgrade your car you need to spend more currency. Then finally the coup de grace is it asks you to spam all your friends about it. It has a bit of that pyramid scheme going.

Anyways, I'm not opposed to microtransactions per se. When it's pay for content, ala Rock Band, or pay for cosmetics, ala TF2 then I'm totally fine with that but some of these games seem to take it to some really dumb places.

It just sucks that a good game, Real Racing 2, had it's successor looted to be sold as f2P because if you get way more users even if your average spend per user goes down your total amount of money goes up and they can't implement a buy everything button because a few power users can totally wreck the economy for everyone and spend a lot more than what it would cost to buy everything.

He Leg
There are certainly right and wrong ways of doing it.

I suppose it's worth pointing out the pertinent news of the last week, with EA saying they're going to start including microtransactions on every game from now on, and CliffyB voicing up about it (yeah, I am going to use Eurogamer for my gaming links now).

What worries me is that when a company like EA creates a seemingly blanket policy for having a certain feature in every one of its games, then it drastically increases the chance of that feature being implemented in some of those games in a bad way, like what you've mentioned above.

I don't agree that microtransactions are the future. They're just part of the future, like tablets and phones haven't killed consoles and PCs, they've just added to the mix. And poorly made ones still don't sell well.

Just Beat Coyote (off)
People can support EA with their wallets, I personally don't and haven't for a long time now.

Paleo Wannabe
The key is finding a Balance between letting us play without them but at the same time making us feel that We'd be better off paying.

Unimaginative Pseudonym
Cookiejesus wrote:
The key is finding a Balance between letting us play without them but at the same time making us feel that We'd be better off paying.

+1

Ludo Ergo Sum

The slings and arrows of microtransactions
Rating:
Topic by: vermouth
Posted: Mar 3, 13 - 1:11 AM
Last Reply: Mar 11, 13 - 8:55 PM
Go to : 
Page: 1
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum