GeekSpy Forums | Gaming Discussion | Guild Wars II Not Really...
 * F.A.Q.  * Memberlist  * Search
Guild Wars II
Rating:
Topic by: SC
Posted: Oct 8, 12 - 11:03 AM
Last Reply: Oct 15, 12 - 7:03 AM
Go to : 
Page: 1
Author Guild Wars II

Trainee
So, who's playing?

Just Beat Coyote (off)
I pre-ordered it ages ago, but after playing TERA (before its collapse due to lack...zero max lvl content almost) I just couldn't get into GW2. TERA's combat system was amazing, and for me to even consider playing another MMORPG, it'd have to have a very similar combat system.

If you haven't played TERA, the combat system is pretty much "I don't care if you're a tank, you will dodge or you will die. If not in the first blow, definitely the second". It plays similarly to Monster Hunter.

My ranger is around level 18 in GW2 and I haven't touched it since.

Why Did I Do That?
Sorry, me and tabbed-targetting hotkey combat are no longer on speaking terms.

Recruit
I picked up GW2 and have been playing it sporadically. My highest level character is a 21 Norn warrior. I also have a 14 Asura mesmer and a few other low level characters I rolled but haven't played yet.

I like the game, but just don't have the time or inclination to play an MMO as much as most people, which is why GW2 suits me with its no monthly fee.

Trainee
Fetts_Vette wrote:
I picked up GW2 and have been playing it sporadically. My highest level character is a 21 Norn warrior. I also have a 14 Asura mesmer and a few other low level characters I rolled but haven't played yet.

I like the game, but just don't have the time or inclination to play an MMO as much as most people, which is why GW2 suits me with its no monthly fee.

Pretty much the same here. Am slightly worried about how.. diffuse the gameplay is due to the lack of strong character roles. Our 'healer' keeps telling us how much his healing skills suck.

Recruit
In Reply To #5

My main complaint is the almost complete lack of verbal interaction with all the other players.

I could seriously count on one hand the number of words that I've spoken or had spoken to me by other players in the game. I saw a video on YouTube of some software that lets you play the game with a gamepad, and I'm seriously considering doing that. The game feels like it would benefit from it and since nobody talks, the keyboard is virtually unnecessary.

Won the Internet...
Thought about picking it up, still not sure about it...

The Turtle moves...

Trainee
So, I played until about level 50 of GW2 (I intend on going back to it) followed immediately by playing through all of the soloable content in Mists of Pandaria.

Nobody does storytelling in an MMO better than WoW, but for the most part I find GW2 a decidedly more fun game to play. The questing structure and events makes WoW's linear questing seem positively archaic. GW2 never really feels like you're marching through content, you're sort of just running around wherever, and oh, here's a quest, here's an event, let's go get this thing, etc. It feels more like a open world game than the linear story that WoW has perfected.

That said, there's less compelling me to play GW2 for that exact reason. Because of the paper thin overarching structure (in GW2's case, personal story - which as far as I'm concerned is a wash) and the lack of any real character progression, I don't feel that drive to keep playing as I've always had when I get back into WoW.

Why Did I Do That?
In Reply To #8

I had problems with WoW's character progression system simply due to the fact that all my progress would be made obsolete when the next expansion launched. I don't even know why they're called Expansion Packs when really they're Replacement Packs.

Won the Internet...
In Reply To #8

So MoP is alright?

Haven't picked that up either.

The Turtle moves...

Trainee
Edge Damodred wrote:
In Reply To #8

I had problems with WoW's character progression system simply due to the fact that all my progress would be made obsolete when the next expansion launched. I don't even know why they're called Expansion Packs when really they're Replacement Packs.

I feel like the alternative is a lot worse. At least the expansions represent a massive injection of new interesting content for the people that can't be having with instance and raid grinding (Hi!)

Trainee
Dracion wrote:
In Reply To #8

So MoP is alright?

Yep, it's pretty good. I mean, it's a WoW expansion, y'know? There's an expected level of quality that's been established at this point, and it conforms.

The zones are good, but not as good as I remember Cataclysm being - hard to really judge after playing Guild Wars 2.

Won the Internet...
Darric wrote:
Dracion wrote:
In Reply To #8

So MoP is alright?

Yep, it's pretty good. I mean, it's a WoW expansion, y'know? There's an expected level of quality that's been established at this point, and it conforms.

The zones are good, but not as good as I remember Cataclysm being - hard to really judge after playing Guild Wars 2.

I just want my Kung Fu Panda!!!

The Turtle moves...

Trainee
I named mine Li Mu Bear. Good name, or best name?

Guild Wars II
Rating:
Topic by: SC
Posted: Oct 8, 12 - 11:03 AM
Last Reply: Oct 15, 12 - 7:03 AM
Go to : 
Page: 1
 Moderators  Permissions  Tools
Moderated by Cyrris You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum